Being in leadership of a church can sometimes feel frustrating and tiring. I think it can be a great exercise to list out the things that we are happy about. Here are some things that encourage me about our church!
Things that I think are strengths for us:
- Leadership is very open to trying new things
- The whole group is really open to trying new things (!!)
- Leadership are people of deep character
- Informal atmosphere in services (I love this)
- Very welcoming for kids
- Coffee and snacks at every Sunday gathering
- Really welcoming, friendly, non-judgmental people
- Quality worship music (although we could use some more musicians)
- Thoughtful theology in many ways
- Authentic search for truth rather than pat answers. We aren’t afraid to say “I don’t know” about some tricky theological things
- An emphasis on the active working of the Holy Spirit in our lives (like hearing God’s voice)
- Our gatherings are more like a workshop than a show – people are encouraged to participate, and some mistakes are expected – we’re all learning as we go
- The church are committed givers
- Church leadership has operated very frugally and saved up money over the years for future projects
- No debt
- We eat a meal together every month, which is a great opportunity for fellowship
- The group really does care for each other and support each other
- The church pitches in and helps a lot, they don’t expect the pastors to do everything ?
I will confess that there are plenty of things that frustrate me about our church as well, but today is just for celebrating the things God has blessed us with 🙂
What’s your list? Even if you feel frustrated or discouraged, can you come up with a few things you’re really grateful for in your church?